Thursday, 14 March 2013

Although it is widely rumoured he has no intention of standing in the May elections, Coun. Bradbury would only comment: “We have not released our list of candidates yet.”

Councillor denies house move
By ROBERT GIBSON
Hexham Courant
Last updated at 15:21, Thursday, 14 March 2013
UNCERTAINTY remains over the political future of Tynedale’s most prominent county councillor, as he refused to be drawn this week on whether he would defend his seat in the forthcoming elections.
Coun. Neil Bradbury, who represents Prudhoe West and is a member of the ruling Liberal Democrat executive, has been plagued in recent weeks by allegations that he has moved to Blaydon, with residents finding it difficult to contact him.
He has not turned up to a town council meeting since October and his attendance at County Hall in Morpeth was lacking for several months – although it has picked up since.
Although it is widely rumoured he has no intention of standing in the May elections, Coun. Bradbury would only comment: “We have not released our list of candidates yet.”
The alleged move to Blaydon – now flatly denied by Coun. Bradbury – was raised several weeks ago by town councillors before being brought up at Northumberland County Council’s west area by Coun. Glenn Simpson.
At the time, Coun. Bradbury released a statement saying his home was still in Prudhoe and he continued to serve his residents as normal.
But at the most recent Prudhoe Town Council meeting, Coun. Simpson said: “He still hasn’t answered the particular question put to him and I doubt he is going to.
“It’s rumoured that he is planning to step down and I have also had a county council official say to me that the contact in Prudhoe West is through this town council.
“You can read into that what you want.”
Coun. Simpson added that it was “quite clear” the contact details featured on the county council website for Coun. Bradbury were incorrect.
Town mayor Coun. Tony Reid even suggested Coun. Bradbury was “on a sinking ship”, adding: “I don’t have any sympathy for him and if he’s leaving, that’s better for Prudhoe.”
Speaking afterwards, however, Coun. Bradbury said there was no truth whatsoever in the rumour he had moved.
“I am in my old home; I am still living there,” he said.
“My house is on the market. I am trying to sell it, but I have not sold it yet.”
He added that he spoke to county council officers every day about Prudhoe issues and was dealing with plenty of case work from the town.
Dismissing the recent comments about him as “silly party politics”, he continued: “I am perfectly happy with how I do my job.
“If people in my ward were unhappy with the service I was giving them as a councillor, then I’d be really upset.
“That’s what I’ve always been about; but every day I’m dealing with a different piece of case work for residents.”
First published at 07:38, Wednesday, 13 March 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.