Local residents in the Beaconhill Green area of Cramlington have signed a petition to get the council to repair the footbridge over the railway line.
Published on Wednesday 20 February 2013 08:11COUNCIL bosses have agreed to help residents in part of Cramlington after campaigners said they had been isolated from the town centre.
Town councillors have been battling to get repairs carried out on the Beaconhill footbridge over the east coast railway line, after it was closed due to health and safety concerns.
Coun Ian Ayres has called on Northumberland County Council to introduce a temporary shuttle bus service to help people in the area get access to shops and services in the town centre, rather than face a potentially dangerous walk.
“Solutions need to be found and they need to be found soon,” he said.
“We must continue to raise and highlight residents anger and concerns to Northumberland County Council over the closure of Beaconhill public footbridge and the impact it’s causing the local community accessing local services within Cramlington town centre.
“The footbridge which is in a dangerous condition and in the interest of public safety has to remain closed until it is repaired.
“The footbridge has been closed for four months, provides a vital link between hundreds of residents and the shops, facilities and services.
“I’m urging Northumberland County Council to back my idea for a replacement Bus Shuttle Service to help alleviate demands and urgent issues while the public footbridge is closed.”
A spokesman for Northumberland County Council said: “In response to the concerns and requests of local people we have been looking at providing a shuttle bus to help residents to get from one side of the footbridge to Manor Walks shopping centre, that will particularly benefit people with mobility problems.
“We are talking to local councillors this week and should have more details to announce shortly.
“The shuttle service should be in place by March 4, if not before.”
News Post Leader Published on Monday 18 February 2013 10:24
THE number of people prosecuted for letting their dogs foul in public is continuing to drop, latest figures have revealed.
Opposition councillors have criticised the stance being taken by Northumberland County Council which shows that just 14 people were prosecuted in 2012, despite the number of complaints being on the increase.
Figures released by the Labour Party show that there were 1,204 complaints to the council by residents about the amount of dog dirt on pavements or open spaces.
Group leader Coun Grant Davey said: “Dog fouling reports are certainly on the increase.
“Councillors have had complaints at the south east area committee from residents living near Cowpen cemetery and mourners about the number of dogs off the lead.
“Local footballers are often exposed and children playing on grassed areas can also pick up toxocariasis when they should be out enjoying themselves.”
But council leader Jeff Reid said the council is tackling the problem, and in 2011-12 nine fixed penalty notices (FPN) were issued with two enforcements placed by magistrates.
He added: “The approach adopted by the public protection service has been to try and educate irresponsible dog owners and to deal with first time offenders by issuing a fixed penalty notice.
“The use of FPNs is recognised as best practice and is an efficient and effective use of our resources, which allows us to deal with the problem there and then on the street.
“During last summer we ran the successful ‘Don’t Stand For It’ campaign to raise awareness across Northumberland regarding this serious public health issue.
“The council also hands out 400,000 free ‘poop’ bags a year to responsible dog owners.”
Parish Councillor & County Candidate Scott Dickinson has expressed his delight at getting the old Druridge Bay Middle school site included in Labours capital works programme. Cllr Dickinson said it was a devastating blow the day the County Council agreed to close and demolish our school taking jobs and community benefits with it.
Scott has been working hard with the Labour leadership to get the site included in their capital works programme. In agreement with the Leader the plan over the next few years would be to consult with the local people with a view of building and opening an indoor sports facility with capabilities to hold local teams & clubs providing changing rooms but also training facilities for practical learning.
Currently Hadston organisations are temporarily housed at Hadston House since the demolition of the school, this would allow them to move into purpose built premises. It's also suggested that the site can be utilised by young people's clubs from Red Row Welfare during the winter as they currently have no location. While the building would bemainly used for sports it is planned that the building will also be able to house other groups that need larger spaces and training facilities for young and unemployed people.
Without the plans being written up as such it would be too early to consult with local people, when the time comes and plans have been firmed up locals will play a vital role in deciding what is built.
Scott said I have fought to have this included in Labours plans, the leader is a great supporter of our area and I am pleased he has worked with me to commit future funding to our area.