GUY OPPERMAN BlogSpot Mon 23rd June
“Full Council is the key meeting of the Council and happens just once a month. It is the democratic chance to hold the Council to account, debate key issues, and allow the public to make their case. With an August break there now won't be another meeting until September if Labour get their way. It's like the Prime Minister cancelling Prime Ministers Question Time”.
“Pretty shocking stuff. Northumberland's Labour Council would do well remember we are all servants to the public, not the other way round”.
“Coalition branded 'zombie government' as it prepares to give MPs 19 days off because they have run out of laws to debate”
- “Tories and Lib Dems order break because they have nothing to debate. Parliament to finish on Thursday and not come back until June 4”
- “Embarrassingly MPs have only been back in Westminster for eight days since they returned from a 17-day Easter recess”.
- “They also had nine days off in mid-February for a half term break, which came only four and a half weeks after their Christmas break which last from December 19 to January 6”.
IT SEEMS A MONTH IS A LONG TIME IN POLITICS FOR HEXHAM’S TORY MP.
WE’D ALSO LIKE TO REMIND HIM OF LABOUR’S RECORD IN NORTHUMBERLAND IN JUST ONE YEAR - THIS IS SOME OF THE POLICY DECISIONS TAKEN
- 350 NEW AFFORDABLE HOMES BUILT OR IN PLANNING
- 17% FALL IN THE HOUSING WAITING LIST
- FREE PARKING PROMISE DELIVERED
- COUNCIL SERVICES COMING BACK TO HEXHAM TOWN CENTRE WITH AT LEAST 200 NEW JOBS
- INVESTED SIX FIGURE SUM IN NEW PRUDHOE ‘SPETCHELLS’ CENTRE
- STRUCK A NEW DEAL TO CREATE NEW ACTIVE NORTHUMBERLAND WHICH WILL RUN COUNTY LEISURE FACILITIES PROVIDING VALUE FOR MONEY ACESS TO STATE OF THE ART LEISURE FACILITIES
- £1M PER YEAR SAVED FROM ‘SLIMMING DOWN TOP MANAGEMENT’
- £2M PER YEAR SAVING FROM MIDDLE MANAGEMENT RESTRUCTURING
- £3M SAVINGS FROM IT BUDGET
- 75% REDUCTION IN USE OF EXPENSIVE EXTERNAL CONSULTANTS
- 600 EXTRA RURAL HOMES WILL GET BROADBAND BECAUSE WE ‘CLAWED BACK £700,000 FROM BT CONTRACT
- INVESTED £160M IN A UNIQUE DEAL WITH NORTHUMBRIA HEALTHCARE TRUST WHICH MEANS A NEW HOSPITAL IN CRAMLINGTON, NEW INFIRMARY FOR BERWICK AND HUGE SAVINGS FOR NHS INCLUDING CHEAPER COSTS FOR HEXHAM HOSPITAL
- CREATED OVER 300 NEW APPRENTICESHIPS THROUGH THE COUNCIL AND NORTHUMBERLAND’S ‘FAMILY OF FIRMS’
- SAFEGUARDED FRONTLINE SERVICES AND SPENT £600,000 EXTRA ON POTHOLES (MORE LATER)
- STOOD UP FOR NORTHUMBERLAND AS TORIES TRIED TO BLOCK ‘DARK SKIES’ TOURISM PROJECT
- STARTED THE FIRST FULL PROJECT PLAN TO DUAL THE A1 IN NORTHUMBERLAND INCLUDING COST AND ROUTE
- STRUCK TOWN COUNCIL DEALS WHICH MEAN THE COUNTY TOWNS HAVE EXTRA WORKERS TO KEEP THEM ‘CLEAN AND GREEN’AND WE
- BALANCED THE COUNCIL BUDGET DESPITE SAVAGE CUTS OF £130M OVER THE NEXT FOUR YEARS BY A CONDEM COALITIONFor Immediate UseLABOUR SLAMS ‘HYPOCRITCAL ATTACKS’ BY TORY MPMP’s embarrassment as it emerges that Parliament ‘stopped’ for 19 days last month because ‘government had run out of business’ after he criticises County Council for cancelling council meeting because ‘it had no business to discuss’A North East Tory MP Guy Opperman has been branded ‘hypocritical’ after his claims that Northumberland County Council was acting ‘illegally and undemocratically’ cancelling a meeting of the council because of a lack of council business. The Hexham MP has written to his Conservative colleague Brandon Lewis to make the allegation that the council ‘may have acted illegally’.Now Labour have hit back, highlighting various newspaper national newspaper reports which branded Guy Opperman’s government as a ‘zombie government’ after it gave MP’s 19 days off before the Queens Speech because ‘it had no business to debate’. Labour have also pointed out that MP’s had also only been back in Westminster for eight days after a 17-day Easter recess. They also point out that MP’s had nine days off in mid-February for a half term break, which came only four and a half weeks after their Christmas break which last from December 19 to January 6.Grant Davey, leader of the Labour group and leader of the council said‘Clearly in Guy Opperman’s eyes it’s all right for his government to give him 19 days off because there wasn’t any government business to debate but not for this council to save £18,000 because it has no business to transact. In most people’s books that is hypocritical. I’m sure residents will note his double standards and his decision to try to play politics with this issue which will end up costing the county council tax payer even more money. Now we’ve caught him in letter writing mood, I wonder if he can explain why he hasn’t written any letters to the government standing up for his constituency against the savage cuts voted for by him and his ConDem colleagues or the 400 plus families who have been hit by the bedroom tax or the hundreds of residents who have lost their jobs because of his government’s decision to privatise HMP Acklington or Search and Rescue services at RAF Boulmer. He needs to explain why he sees a council meeting where the only outcome will be party political grandstanding against the backdrop of this council’s need to cut its budget by a third because of his party decisions.EndNoteshttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625533/Coalition-branded-zombie-government-prepares-MPs-19-days-run-laws-debate.htmlhttp://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/04/queens-speech-2014-coalition-government-zombies_n_5442841.htmlhttp://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/zombie-coalition-has-run-out-of-things-to-say-say-critics-9085493.html